Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Gornal Athletic F.C app


First Team - Match centre

Telford Juniors
Gornal Athletic
Sat 15 Sep 15:00 - West Midlands Regional League - WMRL Division One Full time

Telford Defeat Gornal in Game of Two Halves


Early goals costly as Gornal downed in Dawley

Gornal Athletic were defeated 2-1 in Telford as Geoff Hill's second half strike wasn't enough to gain a share of the spoils.

Gornal started well with Geoff Hill inches from an Antony Cox cross, Cox a constant threat when on the ball all day.

Telford took the lead after just six minutes as Gornal really struggled to compete on a difficult surface as Alan Gwilliam was beaten to a long ball and Holdsworth shot across Ashley Green bounced up, over his diving hand and into the far corner.

James Weston was close to levelling soon after from an Antony Cox corner with the central defenders powerful header saved at the back post.

Telford doubled their lead on 11' with Alan Gwilliam failing to clear a ball, allowing the winger in to cross to Nolan who on the slide tapped home from very close range.

Gornal Athletic were really struggling to get going and were lucky not to be out the game as a free kick was won and headed against the bar before Scott Glasby could clear.

Ben Store had a header that went into the side netting but Gornal really weren't playing an attractive game with the front three struggling to get the ball.

Ashley Green made a great starfish save before the break against Elliott, the striker was through but Green was out quickly to deny the forward.

Half Time chats done Lee Wood sent his men out hoping for a better half and he got one.

Geoff Hill gave Gornal hope within three minutes, twisting, turning and then firing into the top corner.

Telford then hit the crossbar as a free kick flicked off Antony Cox, the resulting corner was headed over by the home side.

Antony Cox then cut inside his man and sliced an effort wide but the half from Gornal was much, much better.

Cox then crossed a low ball in, a flick took it to Ben Store who turned and six yards out couldn't force the ball home on the stretch with Reece Dabbs also unable to finish off the lose ball.

Geoff Hill then shrugged off two defenders and battled well but his long range effort went well over the bar.

Ben Store was then very close to levelling the game up with 15 to go as the striker ran through but his powerful effort at the front post went just over the bar.

With ten minutes to go a huge chance went begging, Geoff Hill pounced on a dropped ball from the keeper, shot on the turn was saved, his rebound was blocked. Antony Cox then had an effort blocked by the stomach of a defender before Hill again struck an effort which whacked off the post.

With just three minutes left Bridges was left astounded the officials didn't award him a penalty with the winger beating his full back who then seemingly took down the Gornal substitute inside the area with the official waving away any penalty claims.

In added time Telford Juniors smashed the bar through Ross Jones which saw the end of the game.

A chance to put the wrongs right on Tuesday as Wrens Nest travel to Garden Walk in more league action.

The FA SuperKicks app launched to kick-start children's play and learning

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other WMRL Division One results

Willenhall Town
Tipton Town
Worcester Raiders
Old Wulfrunians


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors